Although nothing can entirely prevent canker sores, the following measures may help:
- Avoid injury to the inside of your mouth by chewing food slowly and using a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Avoid tobacco products
- Reduce stress, eat healthy foods, and exercise to strengthen your immune system
Canker sores usually represent more of a nuisance than serious problem. Treatment is focused on relieving discomfort.
- Take Advil® or Tylenol®
- Avoid foods known to increase pain such as salty foods, citrus fruits, hard0edged foods (such as potato chips), and caffeinated beverages.
Seek medical attention if:
- You are unable to eat or drink because of the pain
- The store does not heal in 14 days